Back on April 8th, my friend Jim sent me an e-mail, replying to one of my many forwarded articles. It was very succinct, and said, in its entirety:
You know..
You need a blog
You need a blog
:)
- Jim
- Jim
Part of my reticence in blogging has been that much of my e-mail sent to friends and acquaintances consists of forwarded articles from publications, with the odd comment or two tacked on to the top of said e-mails. The problem with blogging is that many news sites will keep articles up for a week or so, and then hide them behind an archive firewall from then on, asking for coin of the realm every time someone wants to read an article from the San Jose Mercury-News on "L.A. mayor's race gets thumbs down for drama," let's say. (I just tried to find that article at the Merc-News' site, and got directed to a page that asked me for—surprise!—$2.95. Luckily I already had the article saved on my hard drive, from a previous Web peregrination back in 1997.)
Anyway, some sites have ways of establishing permanent links for bloggers to link to, so that is what I will try to do when I reference stories on this blog. I can't guarantee that will work for all publications, but we'll see what works and what doesn't.
Anyway, some sites have ways of establishing permanent links for bloggers to link to, so that is what I will try to do when I reference stories on this blog. I can't guarantee that will work for all publications, but we'll see what works and what doesn't.
No comments:
Post a Comment