18 May 2005

What is it with political dynasties?

So Patt Morrison is digesting the effects of an Antonio Villaraigosa victory, and aside from wishing that politicians would just stop saying that they're going to roll up their sleeves, she suggests that the next mayoral race in 2009 would be between Villaraigosa and Hahn. But not the Hahn you're thinking of. The other Hahn. As in the soon-to-be-ex-mayor's sister, Councilwoman Janice.

Could happen. But her thinking out loud raises a point: When did the whole concept of political dynasties get so entrenched? I mean, we had the Kennedys—okay, fine. And then George H.W. begat George W. And half of the "two-for-one" Billary team became a senator after they left the White House, and certain rumour mills are a-twittering that really, no, really, she wants the top job in 2008. (She says she doesn't, but who are you going to believe?) And then after Dubya leaves the scene, maybe Jeb wants a crack at it.

Do some families just naturally have the knack for politics? Are their multitudinous kinfolk just really good at it—blessed with some sort of genetic political savvy that will make them shine in the minds of voters, and make them say, "This person really cares about us, and has good plans for our future"? Or does it really boil down to one simple fact: name recognition on the ballot?

“Gee, I remember Kennedy/Bush/Clinton/Hahn/Whoever... and here's another one from the same family. The other one I liked, so I'm sure I'll like this one, too."

Elections by Q score. {sigh}

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmm. I normally don't keep news blogs on my reads but I have to admit you've got some fascinating stuff. Will you continue to send out your regular thingies?

Kent said...

Probably. This blog is still an experiment, after all. I may mix-and-match.

Anonymous said...

Did I ever tell you about the attempt by Nixon to create a dynasty? His daughter Julie was known to dislike David Eisenhower, yet married him to please her daddy. :( Kinda creepy.